A Short Story, (Really, I Mean It) And A Very Special Download
Friday, October 29, 2010
****


This is going to be short today, I promise. 

I know. I know. You've heard that from me about as many times as Charlie Sheen has promised he's sober for real this time, or at least he will be after he trashes up one more hotel room and calls up some of his best hookers.

But, I swear, it's a short one. 

Because I have revisions that are keeping me awake at night. Because I am tearing up a few bits and pieces of my novel and weaving them into my story in a whole new way. And I need to be working on that, instead of hanging around in Blogland. 

But most of all, because this is a short story, a short but fantastic story. 

My girls have soccer practice twice a week and for the first time in our lives, they practice on the same days, same time, same fields and I am dancing a slap clapping, jiggity jig over this. 

Now, here's the thing. 

We are not the kind of family that is organized enough to eat before soccer practice. No, far from it. We are more like European diners. We never eat before 8:00 at night. There are too many sunsets to watch and too much life to be had while there is still light in the sky. And besides, we don't want to throw all the local restaurants off. They would all be, "What's up with the Mannix's? They're eating way too early." 

So, we eat rather late on soccer practice nights since practice is over at 9:00 p.m. And we always go  somewhere casual that doesn't mind some of us tromping in, in soccer cleats late at night. 

A Five Guys recently opened up in our neck of the woods which is super exciting for us. We love their burgers just as much as we love In-N-Out burgers. But since both places did not exist in our neck of the woods, they were rare treats for us. 

Not anymore. 

Five Guys is a regular stop for us after soccer practice, which sure isn't good news for my ass but I cannot pass up that sort of delectableness. 

The other night, my Hubby was out of town and it was just me and the girls after soccer practice. We decided it would be a Five Guys night. 

As we stood at the counter, my Julia ordered first. 

Now for those of you not familiar with Five Guys, let me first say I'm very sorry. Secondly, they have two kinds of fries: regular and Cajun. 

Julia likes the Cajun fries. 

She looked up at the menu and said, "I'll take a Little Bacon Cheeseburger with grilled mushrooms and onions." (Yes, my children have sophisticated palates. It's what happens when Mama hates to cook and restaurants are your primary source of dinner.)

And then she said, "And I'll have those Caucasian fries."

That's right.  Caucasian Fries

The dude behind the counter frowned and looked up at the menu. "We don't have Caucasian fries. Do we?"

I was too busy, all doubled up, crying in laughter, to explain. 

We will now forever call the Five Guys fries, the Caucasian fries. 

Today's Very Special Download:

All right. 

You guys know I never get political on my blog mainly because this is not a political blog. This a fluffball, hot-man-loving, Miley-Cyrus-bashing, shoe-adoring, Moron-Twins-hating, look-at-the-stupid-thing-I-did-now, kind of blog. 

And it's not that I don't have a voice when it comes to politics. Trust me. I do. I was raised in a household where we were encouraged to be aware of the world around us and stand strong in our beliefs. 

I choose not to share my opinions here because opinions can be divisive and I'm the Rodney King of Blog Word. I'm all, "Can't we all just get along?"

But yesterday my dear, darling friend LisaPie, posted a video on her Facebook page that brought me to tears.  

See, there is one political hot button quite dear to my heart. 

And that is gay rights or better yet, the appalling lack of rights, gay people have. 

I live in a small Southern town and it saddens me to say that an undercurrent of bigotry still resides here in so many ways. So many awful ways. 

But today, I am only here to talk about one.

Now, I want to be clear. There are good people in this town, fair minded, lovely people. But there are also some who believe that their way is the only way. 

I drive down the country roads of this town and it fills me with sadness— the manicured yards, so pretty and well tended with these ugly splotches of hate, little signs supporting gay marriage bans and just say no to gay adoptions. 

A few years ago, my girls' high school made the national news, unfortunately. The kids wanted to form a Gay/Straight alliance. The administration approved it. The parents got wind of it. And the firestorm began. I can't tell you how many chain emails I got from a group of parents infuriated that the high school had allowed this. They were up in arms and ready to stop this abomination. 

And yes, that is what they called it. An abomination. It makes me cry to write those words. 

I wrote back, trying to explain that this enlightened generation, these wonderful kids were showing the world something called tolerance. A much needed theory these days.  

Parents wrote back, telling me that this club was just a ruse— a way for the gay kids to recruit our precious ones into homosexuality. 

I wish I were kidding. 

I am proud to say, there was no buckling. The Gay/Straight alliance is alive and flourishing.

As it should be. 

The world needs to take lessons from these teenagers. Teenagers who drive too fast and have no logic and think their parents are the most ridiculous people in the world. 

These kids showed the inherent wisdom that lies in their young hearts. 

A few weeks ago, a bright, young man so filled with promise jumped off a bridge to his death. The world awaited him. He was a Rutgers college student, a virtuoso violinist, a boy coming into manhood, filled with endless possibility. But bullies took advantage of him in the worst way and invaded his privacy so outrageously and illegally and broke him beyond repair. He couldn't find the light through all the awfulness and he chose to end his too few days here on this earth, all because of some ignorant bastards. 

My heart broke. Again. As it always does. 

It is beyond reason that in this day and age, discrimination is alive and well and being held up in the courts. It is unfathomable to me that here in America, people's basic rights are being squashed by those who protest and hold their Bibles aloft. In the name of the Lord, we will hate. 

And don't even get me started on that. 

What would Jesus do? Not this. Not this at all. 

And please, don't come after me with Bible verses. I know them well. I was raised in Catholic schools and in the Church and I can go hand to hand with anyone when it comes to verse. 

And I really am offended by the statement —I don't hate the gays, I just don't believe they deserve equal rights. 

Discrimination is hate, my friends.

Jesus lived and died among the most discriminated people on the planet. Jesus left us with a simple, abiding truth: to love one another. It is not our right to pick and choose. It's easy, man. It truly is. Love one another as I have loved you. 

My wish is that this next generation— these kids who are forming Gay/Straight alliances in their schools, these kids who accept people no matter their sexuality, who allow their gay friends to be comfortable in their own skin, so that gay teens do not have to hide away in shame— my wish is that, in years to come, they will look back, we will all look back to these days and shake our heads and say, "Never Again."

And here's the thing that amazes me the most about all of this ridiculous nonsense. The gays who are fighting this brave and noble fight, they're not bitter, they're not seething in rage. They are just constructively working to make things right. 

My friend Cathy for instance, who has long been an active voice in the political gay community, just invited me to the party "Celebrate the Repeal Of The Adoption Ban in Florida". Because finally, she will legally be allowed to have rights to her son, the boy she watched come into the world, the boy who for 11 years has known the fierce love of his two fabulous mothers. Cathy chose to fight with her eloquent words and her gentle heart and her savvy activism, respecting the system through this long and arduous journey. 

Me? I'd be throwing bricks through storefronts and setting shit on fire if someone told me I was not allowed the same rights as everyone else here in the Land of the Free.

But my gay friends don't hate. They choose instead to show the world dignity, peace and love in their steadfast fight for their unalienable rights.

We might want to all take a lesson from them. 

No H8. Please. Choose love instead. 

In response to the savage bullying of Rutger's student, Tyler Clementi and a host of other awful gay bullying incidents, The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles made a video of hope, for victims of hatred. Along with their friends and families, their message is the universal cry:

It Gets Better. 

Their performance is stunning. Please take five minutes out of your day to watch this and really understand the message these beautiful men are sending out to the world.

And let's all do our part to make this world a little more sparkly. We have the ability to stomp out one flame of hate on this planet, a place right now entirely too mired down in hate and intolerance.

We are one. And we can do better.

Our founding fathers said it best:

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. 

No H8. So that we can all live in a world of acceptance and love. No H8. For all of us. 












57 comments:

Lora said...

um.

i love you.

SUCH a well-written post.

i've been trying to explain to "friends" that Jesus was the most radical person to ever walk the face of the earth...that He certainly wouldn't be involved in hate -- EVER.

and more often than not, i get slammed, argued with -- and not in a nice way, and told that i, by association, am a sinner and going to hell.
(that verse about all having sinned and fallen short seems to be escaping this particular brand...)

and all i can do is plant seeds and pray that one of these days their eyes are opened.

i have so many other things to say, but really...you've said it all.

thank you.

Lisa said...

Oh Joann, I love this post. First of course, "caucasian fries"...so cute (reminds me of when my Paigey called eggdrop soup "eyeball soup").

But the rest of this post...is so dear to my heart. I always hesitate to bring up politics on my blog as well - but you know, sometimes you have to. This is a very important topic, and I thank you for bringing it up. I may well be bringing a political issue up also - I've been thinking about it, it's been on my mind. For me, it's that stupid pig who stomped on a 23 year old girl's head and then had the audacity to say, "She was asking for it." It makes my blood boil.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on. I loved this. Love you too! Thanks for being brave enough to tackle this topic. It does get better.

Ami said...

I had never heard of Caucasian fries until now. So thanks for that.
:)

You know I feel the same way about people having the right to marry the consenting adult of their choice.

Or adults. Hell, I don't care, it doesn't affect me. It's just love.
Which the world needs more of. LOTS more.

I love a gay person or two... and can't imagine how they're a threat to anyone.

Deborah said...

Gay recruitment. You just cannot cure stupid. Every day I see a new form of idiocy. Makes me so sad.

For years I have made my general computer password 'tolerance', to remind me to have it every day. Even for asshats like you describe.

Good for you for having a backbone girl!

Deidra said...

This is perfect. I almost wish I could just copy-paste the whole section about loving gay people and post it myself! It's seriously awesome.

Sandra said...

I bet Caucasian fries are really good with gravy!
Great post Joann, you are such a terrific writer and a great person, and you're my hero for eating out after every soccer practice/game. My husband is too much of a cheapskate. He's rather eat grilled cheese than Caucasian fries.

jayayceeblog said...

That video clip is absolutely goose bumpy, heart wrenching, tear producing beautiful. Tolerance and acceptance are what this world needs ... along with some of those Caucasian fries!

Anonymous said...

Joanne---You may want to look into reading a book that I read last year, "Lord, Save Us From Your Followers" by Dan Merchant. It touches on this very issue, among other things.

And Five Guys---man, I miss that place! Best. Fries. Ever! : )

Unknown said...

The video had me in tears and do not be surprised to see it all over the blog world by the time I am done today.. Hope ya don't mind.
I am a Christian and trust when I say I can bible thump with the best of them, I love how they take the ruin of Sodom and Gomorrah as their defense against Homosexuality. Ummm Ok let's go there.. God named the sins that he felt brought them to destruction.. and that was the LAST on the list. Nearly an afterthought. I believe God also supposedly said women can't be leaders, yet he made Deborah a judge and warrior over Israel, He pulled Esther out of obscurity to save the nation, He pulled Rahab out of the red light district to save.. Let's go there shall we.. When will we learn that yes the Bible is God's word with mans spin in much of the OT. Go there with me PUHLEASE I love cutting teeth on the holier then thou..

Gigi said...

I love the "short" post. But I never care if your posts are 200 words or 2,000, they're my faves.

We had a 5 Guys open up here and apparently I need to go check this out, because I trust your foodie judgment!

Anonymous said...

I am with you!

It is just unfathomable how people do not think everybody should be treated equal. I can't get my head around how they believe those things and I am thrilled that your school allowed that alliance.
There is one discrtict in our state that wants to do something similar and it looks as though it might not go through.

People just anger me sometimes. We are all HUMAN and all deserve the same rights.

I love the caucasion fries. Did she die of humiliation? I would have.

Bossy Betty said...

I'm with you sister! All the way. Let's all just get over it and appreciate people--all people.

Renee said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm with you, throwing bricks threw windows that is, when it comes to this issue. It infuriates me to no end.

My very best friend in the whole world is a gay man, who served in the military for 5 years. One of those years was a tour in Iraq, & I lived every single day of the year with the thought that it could all come to an end at any moment. It would be tragic & terrifying, & most of all he would be alone. I cried & prayed & prayed & cried more than I ever have in my life. The whole time there was one thought nagging at me: he might die fighting for the freedom of a country that doesn't recognize him as equal. To this day whenever I talk about it I'm thrown into a fit of rage. Much like your friend Cathy, I'm lucky enough to have an eloquent friend to show me there's a better way. Whenever I'm going off on one of my crazy rants I have to ask him, "Doesn't this make you angry?!?!?" And no matter how many times we've had the conversation he always tells me the smartest thing, which is: "Yes, but you're never going to change their minds. We just need to find another way." A way like your friend & mine have found. Please offer her my congratulations on her success with the adoption!

I will say that, even though this is a movement in history that should be long since resolved, I am proud to be a part of it. And until it is resolved, I will stand up tall & make sure my voice gets heard for all the people, like the teens tragically lost recently, who lost theirs....and trust me, I'm pretty loud when I want to be!

Dazee Dreamer said...

That was so beautiful. I got chills watching the video. And I'm going to post that video on my facebook page. Thank you so much for this post.

Grace said...

Personally, I like the non-Caucasian fries at Five Guys.

I love this post. I actually had someone ask me this morning why I'm not homophobic. I guess I fit the profile -- Southern, white preacher's kid. But here's the thing: God loves everyone, and I can't figure out who that leaves out.

Suburban Correspondent said...

I heart 5 Guys! They are the best!

But are the Caucasian fries the Cajun ones or the regular ones?

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Well said my friend. Why does something that seem so simple to understand cause so much of an issue?

We have a 5 guys. Love their burgers not so much their Caucasian fries. Poor girl, perhaps she should lay off the heading of the soccer ball.

twelvedaysold said...

Good job, Joann!

I understand the bible freely talks against homosexuality.

So what?

So us Christians can be okay with common law marriages, and non-Christians getting married, but not two gay people? How in a common law marriage, if someone dies, they're "spouse" is protected, but not a committed gay couple who have also been together just as long? And don't even tell me that a teenager can get pregnant and we can have tv shows about it and that's okay, but a gay couple can't make the well-thought out decision to raise a child?

I also find it strange how much tolerance Canada has for so many issues that Americans are so far behind on.

Oh, and speaking of fries, my girlfriends and I once went to a bowling alley where they sold Freedom Fries. My friend ordered Terrorist Fries and I could have about died laughing.

Unknown said...

I love 5Guys, too. The closest one to us is 90 miles away, and we have actually driven there more than once to have their burgers and fries!

I have the white ribbon on my blog in support of Gay Marriage. Feel free to grab one if you like.

The video was beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post, Joan. I know so many people that should read this. If you don't mind, I'd like to repost the second half on my blog. This word needs to be spread.

LisaPie said...

And of course I agree with every word coming out of your mouth. Love the 5 guys!

You know how much I love that video. There is no way for me to make it through more than 1 minute of it before sobbing. It is so touching. And I am a big emotional baby.

Thanks for sharing it!

randine said...

Thanks for the post, it was very powerful. I'll watch the video later, I can't manage it right now- being at work. My eyes are already tearing up just from your beautiful writing. I can only imagine what the video will do to me.

McKenzie said...

I have never had Five Guys, and definitely feel like I am missing out! Your little Julia sounds cute as a button!

That video was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

that there is a need for any of this debate boggles my mind.

we are called to love our neighbour as ourselves, no?

Kelly said...

I have never heard of 5 Guys but the "Caucasian Fries" left me DYING.

It never fails to amaze me how people who claim to be Christian can show such un-Christian hate, bigotry and intolerance.

Wonderful veedeo.

duffylou said...

I.LOVE.YOU. I am an extremely proud mother of three very talented children. One of whom has to struggle with the prejudices and bigotry associated with this ignorance every day.

My son Dan has been openly gay since the day after he graduated from high school. I've known he was gay since he was in second grade. It was really tough for him while he was in school. The name calling, teasing, etc.

It changed for him when he went to a liberal arts college. He blossomed there. He met kindred spirits. Others he could relate to. They had their own PRIDE chapter, which he was an office of for three years. He lived away from home for four years and he really grew up and became independent.

The one thing that no one person can change is the asshat his father became. We were divorced when Dan was ten. When Dan was nineteen he took his boyfriend to his sister's b-day party at his Dad's house. Dad freaked out, told him to leave and not come back until he was alone. Dan is now twenty three and he has not spoken to his father since.

Other than that he is happy and well adjusted has a great roommate a nice boyfriend and several close friends.

They gay community here in Cleveland was significantly saddened by the four recent gay bullying deaths. I have several youtube and vimeo videos if any one is interested. I am sooo sorry I was so long winded.

Thank you Joann for raising the subject in blogland. As you can see, it is something I am very passionate about.

One Photo said...

A Five Guys recently opened up here and I'd love to try it, but I don't believe they do Mac & Cheese or Pizza and a certain little person doesn't eat burgers or fries.

Great post - gay rights is such a ridiculous issue. People are born the way they are, it is hard enough being a minority AND being brave enough to accept and publicly acknowledge that you are without then having to deal with all the crap the world then throws at you.

Missy@Wonder, Friend said...

Amazingly well said. The fact that government even gets in the midst is infuriating. I'm not anti-government at all. Hey, I voted 30 minutes ago! I'm all for government. In its place. But we don't need to be managing peoples' personal lives. Period.

And those of us who claim to be Christians (speaking for myself here) need to be the first ones to stand up and support human rights for all humans. It's not our place to judge right or wrong. Who are we? Nobody. That's who. We love, we accept, we have faith.

Now that my mini-tirade is over...

We love Five Guys, too, and now I will forever and ever think of their fries as Caucasian Fries. I was rolling! Hug your daughter and thank her for a good laugh for me.

The Furry Godmother said...

This video made me cry the way the other one she posted, FCKH8, made me laugh.

I had an argument on FB several weeks ago with some moron who was saying Jesus told us to hate. (!) I was, like, FASCINATING, that is not at all what I read and then he did it. He quoted from Leviticus. Argh. The Book of Hate. When he told me that homosexuality was an abomination, I said, "Hmmm. Have you ever worn cloth of two different threads like cotton polyester?" He replied yes and I informed him that we were all on the way to his house to stone him. Yes. It's in there along with not being allowed to have slaves from neighboring countries. Hmmph. There goes my conquering of Canada to help me polish my silver. ARGH. Just argh.

Okay. I'm done. FCKH8

The Furry Godmother said...

Okay. I'm not done. He also told me I would never understand because I'm not a true Christian. I said, "Really? Because I'm not a mechanic but I know how to drive a car...Oh, you know, you're right. I BELIEVE in the car and that is what makes it work not my basic understanding of say, turning the ignition and stepping on the gas."

But I can be a bit of an ass.

Baby Sister said...

That was beautifully written and something this country REALLY needs to work on. I have many friends who are gay and they are some of the nicest people ever.

Thank you for that.

Oh...and Caucasian fries? I'll have to try me some of those. Made me laugh!!

Christine Macdonald said...

Love this and thank you.
I just did an interview about how being a "straight ally" is so important... :)

If you haven't read -- please do!

As always, your posts are the best. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Joann-loved this. My city is pretty tolerant. I forget sometimes it is not that way everywhere and when I come up against it (like I did recently on a home schooling discussion), it always kind of shocks me. I don't really get it. God made us all.

Anonymous said...

btw, could I have some fries with that?

Dawn in D.C. said...

Like you, politics just roll off my back. However, the gay rights issue are near and dear to my heart. I loved everything you said. You said it so well.

This is one of the things I love about Austin.

Amethystmoon said...

totally feeling you on the sad way things are around here, and as usual, I love you! This was absolute poetry. I recently wrote of my own thoughts on this issue, not nearly as eloquent, but I think worth the read if you have time. http://lifemusiclaughter.blogspot.com/2010/10/purple-today-rainbow-tomorrow.html

Cheeseboy said...

Okay first thing... yes that was a short post FOR YOU.

Secondly, I didn't read a thing in there that I don't really agree with.

Thirdly, uh, Five Guys kicks the living crap out of In and Out. It's not even close.

Caucasian fries? Those sound pasty.

Cheryl said...

Well THANK THE LORD your daughter didn't go ahead and order the GAY fries. She might've been lynched! ;)

I am actually VERY excited that you are finding new things to do for your story. Not that I wish you sleepless nights, but because I know it's going to be even better than you imagined. Hang tough, sister. Hang tough.

Alexandra said...

If we were to sit down and discuss this topic, we'd have nothing to say. You'd speak, and I'd say, "I agree."

End of it.

Well written, and so right...Jesus? He loved everybody.

EVERYBODY.

Ca88andra said...

Bravo! Well written, well said. Its time people stop fearing what they don't understand and stop discriminating altogether.

Liz said...

I have not had the joys of Five Guys, though my parents said they recently opened one by them.

I admit to usually lying in bed at the time you are eating dinner, but I totally identify with exquisite palates and such; my brother and I did a lot of eating out while we were growing up.

On a different note, I was just at Gigi's place and saw your comment and Twitter realization. Yes, there are regular #wineparties, and more than just Friday nights!

C'mon, Joann! You know you wanna join!!

Diane LeBleu said...

Hi - I'm new here too and really enjoyed myself today reading and the title of your blog too. As a mom of 4, my life revolves around my laundry room.

I'm a huge fan of Gigi and am pleased to be a guest here today and new subcriber. I'm an aspiring writer myself - you can check out my blog one of these days at www.pink-pockets.com.

granny1947 said...

Brilliant post Joann....you never fail to impress me.

Fragrant Liar said...

Wow, that was not a short post! HAHA, I know you tried, Charlie. ;-)

I love what you said. I just have to believe that it won't be long before the anti-gays figure this all out. I absolutely loved that video. It was beautiful, and I cried through most of it. Since I needed that anyway, thanks!

Keep plugging away on your book. Me too. :-)

Tinalicious said...

Wow, Joann. What a wonderful and thoughtful post. And I loved the video, so much so that I won't even pretend it didn't make me cry.

I grew up with a gay cousin. At first I was rather too young to understand what that meant. But as I got older and understood, all I knew was it was something we weren't supposed to talk about. Sometimes knowing someone who was gay was almost as bad as being gay. It's like we had a disease or something. And that just never made sense to me.

We're all just people. People who love and care and dream and hope and give and share and laugh and cry and live...and die. But no one should have to die because they are victims of hate for being gay.

NO H8. LET LOVE LIVE!

Judie said...

What is happening to our world? Why are people becoming so mean-spirited and hateful? If Jesus came to earth and saw just how cruel some of the people who claim to be his followers are being to some of God's children, just what would he say? If he appeared at the door of the church whose pastor wanted to burn the Koran, would he be turned away because he was sporting a beard, and wearing sandals and a robe? Is the phrase "all men are created equal" only meant to be lip-service?
It used to be said that "ignorance is bliss." Today one could say that ignorance is a danger to mankind. So sad!

Yuliya said...

I just tried five guys for the first time last month, I wish I knew about the whole double patty thing in advance. Way too much food! And I didn't even try the fries because food nazi husband was with me, maybe next time I'll spring for the Caucasian ones...
Gay recruitment? You have to be kidding me I'm sorry people like that exist, great post!

Shell said...

You are SO right, my friend. We are supposed to love one another. Not just the who we think are "worthy" of it. No judging, just love.

LMAO @ caucasian fries!

Anonymous said...

Caucasian fires is hilarious. I love Five Guys. Adore it. Worship their cheeseburgers. And now? I can't eat them anymore :(. Cheated the other night and tried...and was sick forever.

Jen said...

I was all set to talk about testicles and then you went all serious on me. I couldn't agree more about everything you said, including Charlie Sheen. As you know I live in the northern part of this great country and it isn't much different here than it is down there when it comes to gay rights, and it makes me cry too. Thankfully our children don't have our issues. They have gay friends and moms and dads and grandparents who are gay, and they could care less. I love that.

On to the testicles.

Back in the 80's, when calamari was all the rage, I decided to order some at a local restaurant that carried such bizarre and new delicacies. Thing was, it was the kind of restaurant where you just ordered without a menu. I, for the life of me could not remember the word calamari so I tried to describe what it was I wanted to order. I was thinking tentacles but out came testicles. The waiter laughed his ass off, ensuring he would not get much of a tip, then told his friends and anyone else within ear shot. Thankfully it was the 80's and I didn't give a shit.

Mom vs. the boys said...

I love a good slip up! they seem to stick for all times, too funny!

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Joann, I don't think being gay is a political issue at all, it's a human issue! I'm so glad you wrote about it, I'm not sure why it becomes an election hot button but it's wrong to create fear and hatred like that.

Melissa B. said...

When Mr. Fairway and I were at 5 Guys the other nite, we failed to ask for Caucasian Fries. We'll have to try that next week. I'll report back, OK? And I'm all with you on the No H8 Campaign. I've found that the cherubs at my high school are quiasi-tolerant, which is a good thing, yes? Baby steps...

Nancy C said...

Just beautifully said. Yes, someday we will hang our heads in shame over this. We will.

But for now, we look at those sunsets and enjoy our Caucasian burgers, and hope and pray and vote.

MommaKiss said...

SUCH a great post. Seriously. Choose love.

Unknown said...

Wow, this is amazing- I came visiting your blog after the twitter petition through Liz. I do not think I have read a better post on this subject, or a post that I agree with more. Your words are amazing- simply perfect.

I am excited to follow your blog. I'm so glad they are petitioning to get you on twitter so that I found it!

Anonymous said...

Looks like your site made it on some black hatter's list of targets, better increase security.
I'm not a robot. I'm fully aware of my existence and I have no doubts about reality - it does not exist.
Hey, what's the best way to start blogging right away? Like, without any difficult setups.
I'm not sure I agree with you on some key points. Do you allow guest blog posts? I'd love to write on this topic.

Get the facts first - you can distort them later!

Related Posts with Thumbnails






Tweet Me Subscribe Follow on Facebook 

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



Subscribe Now

Grab My Button!

Laundry  Hurts My Feelings


Following Me Into The Madness

Archive





Blogs I Love





All content (C) 2010 Laundry Hurts My Feelings